Wednesday, February 16, 2005

 

I was reading another St Blogger who put modesty aside and frankly said his ideas were worthy of a St. Blog's award. I couldn't disagree with him on the merits since he appears to know what he's talking about. But I just thought he was setting his goals a bit low. A St. Blog Award? Isn't this like the ribbon you get for finishing a 5K? Being noticed by paid media is what I think he ought be aiming for, but inasmuch as his ideas can bring light and positive influence.

I think Jonah Goldberg of the Corner understands this. His recent reaction to Robin Wright's response to one of his posts was telling. Robin Wright is a "big swinging" in the Old Media. I think she writes for theNY Times but I could be mistaken. Anyway, Goldberg wrote that he impressed by her rebuttal but more impressed by the fact that she took the time to respond. It was a tiny watershed in blogging history: Robin Wright emailed a blogger. As bloggers, we know we are off-off Broadway. We are the poor of the publishing world at least in the sense of poorly paid.

Perhaps my initial negative reaction to this st. blogger was tainted by a proprietary interest in the mediocrity of the blogosphere, in the "finally, a home for me!" sense. In a way professors are the aristocracy of the blog world since they do get paid for their ideas.Which is why I was surprised and impressed by how Bill Luse has underplayed his credentials. Sneaky, he is. Wouldn't want to play him in golf either.

• • • • •

Comments: Post a Comment

Desperately Seeking Retirement
   
..a situational comedy
 
Atom Feed
 


Powered By Blogger TM