Friday, September 23, 2005

 

I read the blogs of the Bushhaters occasionally and I feel so alienated from the culture, so alienated even from Newsweek with its fat ladle of boring articles. I was tempted to write down the titles & summaries of all thirty-plus articles just to say: Is it just me? The post-Katrina mortem irritates me, mostly because expecting for government to act other than bloatful and wasteful seems silly, though I understand the need for the thirty lashes from Newsweek's wet noodle so that it might improve for the next 'cane. That is an excellent service of the media, but I just don't want to read it. Should I?

Another article that ought draw my interest, the Roberts nomination, I'm not at all interesed in. I can tell you what happened at the hearings. Blowhard senators blew, hard, and now they’ll vote him in and the whole thing seems like a colossal waste of time. Roberts himself seems like a good person and that’s all we can ask for. Hopefully he’ll stand up to the tsunami winds of the gas-baggers of the D.C. dinner party set. Never underestimate the gravitational pull of peer pressure. That’s the sort of questions the senators should ask him. "Will you, Judge, be able to withstand dinner invitiations from Ben Bradley and Rupert Murdoch? Will you be able to attend without letting it go to your head or wanting to fit in with the eastern elites? Oh, that’s right, you’re already an eastern elite."

But I looked at that Newsweek and I kept thinking that I should be getting something out of this. I should be engaged, this is our culture, this is our time, our age, this is an exciting age to live in...isn't it? Then why does it taste so tasteless and seem so unnourishing?

• • • • •

Comments: Post a Comment

Desperately Seeking Retirement
   
..a situational comedy
 
Atom Feed
 


Powered By Blogger TM